Rithma Music Fiction
- Words: Luke Magnuson
- Label: Om
Young Etienne Stehelin's debut album for San Francisco's Om blows a breath of fresh air through a somewhat stagnant electronic music scene. Pulling on a wide variety of influences-from rock to jazz to funk and soul-the 23-year old LA native's sound is the perfect antidote to these rough global times. Balanced with several cinematic interludes, the album's 17 tracks flirt with tweaky, pre-sellout Jaxx house ("Make You Mine"), dusty Wild West-inspired electro-saloon-funk ("Sagebrush Blues") and-with vocals that sound remarkably similar to those of Garry Christian (of '80s band The Christians)-soulful, dreamy house ("Everyone's Sleeping Today"). This is much more than either a house album or a house producer's album: it's a completely honest and extremely original composition from an accomplished musician on the path to big things.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player