Robot Koch Death Star Droid
Just a bit darker and more deconstructed than the sounds of Robot Koch's high-tech club outfit Jahcoozi, the producer's debut full-length reveals a gamut of choppy hip-hop compositions straight out of Germany. On Death Star Droid, Koch doesn't care for simplicity, though when working with vocalists like the striking Graciela Maria on Doors' cover "People Are Strange," his crazy collaged synths and robotic sonics are aptly toned down a notch—the sign of a real producer. While his collaborations come across as more focused, it's fun hearing Koch run wild with the glitchy bass banger "Gorom Sen" or on the broken mechanical soundscape of the title track. Overall, it's a daring debut.
- GearArtist Tips: Mister Saturday Night on the Importance of Building a Proper DJ Booth
- NewsStream Keysound's Upcoming 'Certified Connections' Compilation
- NewsWatch Ben UFO's RBMA Lecture
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with Maya Jane Coles, Joy Orbison, Mister Saturday Night, and More
- FeatureGet Familiar: thePeople
XLR8R Downloads Player