Rodney Hunter Hunter Files
- Words: Vivian Host
- Label: G-Stone
Let it be said that I don't like most "smooth" music, and I can't afford the $10 drinks they serve in bars that play it. Still, if I was going to listen to nu-jazz, I could do a lot worse than this Rodney Hunter album. A Kruder & Dorfmeister contemporary, Hunter marries dub, bossa, R&B and house influences to a loose-jointed downtempo framework, then tweaks the effects and massages the bass. The result is a soundtrack to outdoor terraces at sunset and sweaty midnights in tightly-packed lounges, driven forward by outerspace synth touches and soul vocals from Farda P, Hubert Tubbs and Ken Cesar. Think Galliano and Sly & the Family Stone hot oil wrestling, and you're halfway there.
- NewsDownload a New Mix from Ben UFO
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- MP3kidkanevil "Thousand Year Forest (One for Yosi)"
- NewsStream "Fifty Fathoms" from Marquis Hawkes' Upcoming EP
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player