The Roots The Tipping Point
- Words: Rob Geary
- Label: Geffen
Born from extensive jam sessions, The Tipping Point finds The Roots becoming drummer/liner note maestro Questlove's band. Opening with the languid Sly Stone tribute "Star," the band sands most of the edges off a coherent album that slides by perhaps a touch too easily. Scott Storch lends two lean, sparkling pop productions that contrast nicely with Quest's thicker and dirtier sounds (like dub-rock nugget "Guns Are Drawn"). Vocalist Black Thought sounds a bit disinterested outside of two ferocious back-to-back old-school jams, but as the photo of a young Malcolm on the cover implies, The Roots are still just getting started.
- NewsWatch the Video for Clark's "Riff Through the Fog"
- GearAKAI Unveils APC40 MkII and Rhythm Wolf Drum Machine and Bass Synth
- NewsNicolas Jaar, 3 Chairs, Jamie xx, DJ Koze, and More Announced for Dekmantel 2014
- GearArtist Tips - Max Cooper Details Five Ways to Focus Your Artistic Vision and Tighten Up Your Productions
- NewsMaya Jane Coles to Helm Next Fabric Mix Album
XLR8R Downloads Player