Roy Ayers Virgin Ubiquity II
- Words: James Mayo
- Label: BBE-Rapster
When legendary bandleader Lionel Hampton gave five-year old Roy Ayers a pair of vibe mallets after a performance in LA, he planted an inspirational seed. Ayers grew up to play vibes for artists as diverse as Herbie Mann and Guru. This second compilation of previously unavailable tracks draws from the period when the LA-native peaked commercially. Included is a demo version of his classic, "Everybody Loves the Sunshine," a track notably sampled on Mary J. Blige‘s single "My Life." The jazz-based R&B of "Holiday," featuring the sultry Terry Wells, shows why many have dubbed Ayers the godfather of neo-soul.
- GearAKAI Unveils APC40 MkII and Rhythm Wolf Drum Machine and Bass Synth
- NewsWatch the Video for Clark's "Riff Through the Fog"
- NewsNicolas Jaar, 3 Chairs, Jamie xx, DJ Koze, and More Announced for Dekmantel 2014
- GearArtist Tips - Max Cooper Details Five Ways to Focus Your Artistic Vision and Tighten Up Your Productions
- MP3Dengue Dengue Dengue! "Banana"
XLR8R Downloads Player