Rubies Explode From the Center
- Words: August Howard
- Label: Telle
- XLR8R Rating: 7/10
After logging nearly seven years together in Bay Area ensemble Call and Response, Rubies’ Simone Rubi and Terri Lowenthal have a solid pop pedigree. While the breezy funk and ’70s vocal harmonies of songs like “Room Without a Key” and “Too Bright” sound like Call and Response, Part 2, the duo truly shines when they veer onto the dancefloor. “I Feel Electric” is a catchy slice of electro-disco that initially made the rounds as a single on the Italians Do It Better label. Although nothing else on Explode From the Center approaches that level of danceability, tracks like “Stand in a Line” and “Diamonds on Fire” are certainly strong enough to soundtrack a dance party in your bedroom.
- NewsFour Tet Streams Final Forthcoming Percussions Tracks
- MP3Marley Carroll "First Thought, Best Thought (Little People Remix)"
- NewsCheck Out a 40-Minute Live Set from Juju & Jordash
- FeatureHi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- NewsPixelord, DZA, 813, and Others to Appear on Upcoming Russia-Focused Compilation
- Locals Only: Prins Thomas Shares His Five Favorite Spots in Oslo
- 20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- Hi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- 20 Questions - Teebs Talks New Album, Low End Theory, and Playing 'Street Fighter' with Flying Lotus
XLR8R Downloads Player