Run_Return Metro North
- Words: Ben Bush
- Label: n5md
Run_Return‘s dance club-worthy post-rock vacillates between textured electro nocturnes and a sitcom theme triumphalism as life affirming as Beethoven‘s Fifth. The Oakland trio trades off duties on all instruments: vibraphone, retro keyboards, and agile drumming, plus flanged banjo and skittering guitar. There‘s an odd tendency here to pair instruments with their synthetic counterparts-cellos against keyboard strings, handclaps against synth handclaps and, most admirably, the cut-up interplay between programmed beats and live drumming, as when a live drum break appears, deux ex machina, in the middle of a drum machine-backed song.
- GearAKAI Unveils APC40 MkII and Rhythm Wolf Drum Machine and Bass Synth
- MP3Dengue Dengue Dengue! "Banana"
- NewsBoiler Room's 'Beats Unraveled' Series Continues with a Version of Shlohmo's "Places"
- NewsNicolas Jaar, 3 Chairs, Jamie xx, DJ Koze, and More Announced for Dekmantel 2014
- NewsWatch the Video for Clark's "Riff Through the Fog"
XLR8R Downloads Player