Run_Return Metro North
- Words: Ben Bush
- Label: n5md
Run_Return‘s dance club-worthy post-rock vacillates between textured electro nocturnes and a sitcom theme triumphalism as life affirming as Beethoven‘s Fifth. The Oakland trio trades off duties on all instruments: vibraphone, retro keyboards, and agile drumming, plus flanged banjo and skittering guitar. There‘s an odd tendency here to pair instruments with their synthetic counterparts-cellos against keyboard strings, handclaps against synth handclaps and, most admirably, the cut-up interplay between programmed beats and live drumming, as when a live drum break appears, deux ex machina, in the middle of a drum machine-backed song.
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- FeatureHi-Five: Tin Man Selects His Top Acid Tracks
- MP3kidkanevil "Thousand Year Forest (One for Yosi)"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player