Russ Gabriel's Audio Spectrum The Other Side Project Vol. 1
- Words: Vivian Host
- Label: Emoticon
The new album from Carl Craig compatriot and Ferox label owner Russ Gabriel certainly does quite a bit to advance broken beat forward, but it would be a shame to slot it into one genre. While the clever boom-kah, boom-kah of "Flip Down to Break" and the crisp machine funk of the Herbie Hancock-esque "Tisch-Tennis" wouldn't be out of place in Dego or Seiji's DJ box, Gabriel also tinkers with cerebral Detroit electro ("Ode to Ade," "Game, Set, Match"), Plaid-like atmospheric bliss ("Brela," "God is the Moment"), and fusions of all of the above ("Masonette"). Cleverly put together and never short of emotion-whether elated or introspective-Gabriel's achieved another coup for future breaks.
- GearWatch Goth-Trad Make a Beat with Ableton Live
- NewsWatch Jeff Mills' 1998 Red Bull Music Academy Lecture
- NewsWatch Just Jam Sets from Mount Kimbie, Loefah, Omar Souleyman, and More
- NewsListen to Girl Unit's Crystalline Remix of Little Dragon
- MP3Kenji Kawai "Making of a Cyborg (Rope Re-Interpretation)"
XLR8R Downloads Player