Ryuichi Sakamoto Chasm
- Words: Daniel Siwek
- Label: EMI
Is there a chasm between the opening ("Undercooled") of Sakamoto‘s return effort and the ending theme ("Seven Samurai")? Perhaps musically but not conceptually-and when you understand that, the disparate sounds all make sense. One of the inventors of Japanese electro-pop, and the man behind neo-geo, this Yellow Magician is a peacenik, every song a demonstration of military madness, civilian protest, and downtime serenity. Long time collaborator David Sylvian‘s fragile voice on "World Citizen" encapsulates Sakamoto‘s desire to non-violently exist in a world where industry‘s machines and nature‘s instruments share mental real estate.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- FeatureHi-Five: Tin Man Selects His Top Acid Tracks
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- MP3Astronomar "Gargoile (Massacooramaan Remix)"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player