Saint Etienne What Have You Done Today, Mervyn Day?
- Words: David Hemingway
- Label: Foreign Office
- XLR8R Rating: 7/10
Though plastic and petrol were invented there, East London's lower Lea Valley is now an unloved and derelict industrial wasteland. Nevertheless, Saint Etienne and collaborator Paul Kelly have documented the area on film, ahead of its redevelopment to make way for the 2012 Olympics. Scattered with dialogue from the area's inhabitants, Saint Etienne's soundtrack is a thing of unassuming beauty, chock-full of vaguely wistful instrumentals that neither romanticize nor disparage the subject matter. Saint Etienne has always been a group of collectors; somewhere along the way they've become social historians, too.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsLapalux Drops New Single for Brainfeeder, Announces European Tour
- FeatureFive Artists Not to Miss at Vancouver's New Forms Festival
- NewsListen to Tin Man's Upcoming 'Ode' LP
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player