Sally Shapiro Remix Romance Vol 1 & 2
- Words: David Hemingway
- Label: Paperbag
- XLR8R Rating: 7/10
On Disco Romance, Johan Ageborn and the pseudonymic Sally Shapiro forged a synthesis of Italo-disco, twee pop, and Scandinavian electro so close to flawless that they it have been a Frankenstein creation of St. Etienne mastermind Bob Stanley. That Shapiro has never performed live or revealed her actual name enhanced this ideal. Disco Romance seemed ripe for a remix. But, while often very lovely, this dual-volume remodeling (one CD, one download) featuring remixes from Junior Boys, The Juan MacLean, Dntel, and Lindstrøm isn’t quite on the money. Somehow, the attempt at attaining a new level of perfection disrupts the equilibrium of Shapiro and Ageborn’s originals, making them paradoxically slightly further away from such a state.
- GearArtist Tips: Marcel Dettmann's Five Keys to Being a Good DJ
- NewsDownload a Lush Ambient Production from xxxy
- NewsCheck Out John Talabot's Remix of Bicep, Download an "AltMix"
- NewsSoundCloud Announces Advertising, Royalty Collection, Subscription Service
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- 20 Questions: Jackmaster Talks Fast Food, Rubadub, and Coping with the Endless Party Loop
- Get Familiar: Dark Entries
- Nothing Is True, Everything Is Permitted: Wolfgang Voigt, Lawrence English, and Others Ponder the State of Ambient Music
- 20 Questions: DJ Harvey Talks Surfing, Rock 'n' Roll, and the Meaning of Life
XLR8R Downloads Player