Salmonella Dub One Drop East
- Words: Jonathan Zwickel
- Label: Virgin
With their fifth full-length, one of New Zealand's greatest exports lets the sun shine in on dub's typically murky, cavernous spaces. The five-piece brings jazzy horns, some drum & bass urgency and tides of drifting ambience into their easy, melodic mix. Album opener "Longtime" skanks with a rootsy vocal hook, acoustic guitars and rich harmonies move beneath "Slide;" "Dancehall Girl"-the album's first single, which will kill in the progressive markets throughout New Zealand-continues with upbeat, aquamarine bliss. Even as the album gradually sets into dusky evening shades, buoyant arrangements and warm vocals keep even the more ominous, bass-heavy tunes ("Nu Steppa," "Octopus") from sinking into darkness.
- NewsCheck Out New Mixes from Joy Orbison and Objekt
- Feature20 Questions: FaltyDL Talks NYC Dance Crews, Tripping in Nature, and Motorcycle Gunslinging
- GearArtist Tips: Dusky Details Five Techniques for Producing Precise, Club-Ready Tracks
- NewsStream Shenoda's New 'Who Ver?' EP for ManMakeMusic
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
XLR8R Downloads Player