Salmonella Dub One Drop East
- Words: Jonathan Zwickel
- Label: Virgin
With their fifth full-length, one of New Zealand's greatest exports lets the sun shine in on dub's typically murky, cavernous spaces. The five-piece brings jazzy horns, some drum & bass urgency and tides of drifting ambience into their easy, melodic mix. Album opener "Longtime" skanks with a rootsy vocal hook, acoustic guitars and rich harmonies move beneath "Slide;" "Dancehall Girl"-the album's first single, which will kill in the progressive markets throughout New Zealand-continues with upbeat, aquamarine bliss. Even as the album gradually sets into dusky evening shades, buoyant arrangements and warm vocals keep even the more ominous, bass-heavy tunes ("Nu Steppa," "Octopus") from sinking into darkness.
- GearKiNK Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Studio Set-Up
- GearWatch Ikonika Build a Beat in 10 Minutes
- NewsWatch a Video for "Girl," the A-Side of Jamie xx's Upcoming New 12"
- NewsOstgut Ton to Release 'Berghain' and 'Panorama Bar' Mix Series as Free Downloads
- NewsCheck Out a New Documentary on the Spread of Balearic Music Culture
- Locals Only: Prins Thomas Shares His Five Favorite Spots in Oslo
- 20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- Hi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- 20 Questions - Teebs Talks New Album, Low End Theory, and Playing 'Street Fighter' with Flying Lotus
XLR8R Downloads Player