- Words: Shawn Reynaldo
- Label: Moodmusic
- XLR8R Rating: 7/10
It’s hard to believe, but Toinen is only the second full-length album by Berlin-by-way-of-Finland producer Sasse. Yet there is no sophomore slump to be found here, as Toinen is loaded with expertly produced house and techno sounds. Drifting away from his earlier flirtations with Italo- and space disco, Toinen is a controlled effort with a stronger eye toward the precision of Detroit techno. The veteran producer never lends the impression that anything is in danger of going off the rails, as even club tracks like “Clemens” and “Friday Sessionz” are tempered by a strong sense of order, not to mention bursts of white noise and tightly wound Kraftwerk-style synths.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player