Saul Williams Saul Williams
- Words: Scott Thill
- Label: Fader
The most recognizable poet in America might have a way with words, but he's got an ear for beats as well. Williams' self-titled second full-length is stacked with his own homemade syncopation; and, coupled with his rapid-fire linguistics, the multitalented artist might just embed his patented punk-hop into popular consciousness. He's got good company; bad-asses as diverse as Zack de la Rocha (Rage Against the Machine), Serj Tankian (System of a Down) and Ikey Owens (The Mars Volta) show up for the proceedings, helping inject steamrollers like "Grippo," "Act III, Scene 2" and "Black Stacey" into brainstems worldwide. If contemporary "hip-hop is lying on the side of the road/half dead to itself," as Williams rants in "Telegram," then this potent dose of hybrid fury and fun should be able to resuscitate it without too much trouble.
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- MP3Astronomar "Gargoile (Massacooramaan Remix)"
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with DVS1, Aphex Twin, Dntel, and More
- MP3Shiva "Dark Moon"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player