Savath & Savalas Golden Pollen
- Words: Cameron Macdonald
- Label: Anti-
Scott Herren kicks back, droops his eyes, and never bothers to get up for 52 minutes on Golden Pollen. That can seem odd for a fella known for cramming leftfield idea after idea into a glutted MPC sampler. The latest joint from his Savath & Savalas project goes further into psychedelic Barcelona soul and delivers many fine, pillow-side guitar ballads and sunset-hazed textures-namely on "Paisaje" and "Olhas." The best S&S tracks always sounded like wet putty in Herren's impatient hands on the mixing board. Here, he takes an unplugged route that often grows listless, despite much beauty. Just don't mix this record with cheap wine and Valentine's Day loneliness.
- PodcastGerd Janson
- FeatureReal Talk: Hieroglyphic Being on His Unorthodox DJ Style, Muscle Mirroring, and Why the Whole Thing Is a Big Cosmic Joke
- NewsLes Sins Shares "Talk About" from Upcoming Debut LP
- NewsCheck Out the Video for Teengirl Fantasy's "Lung" Single
- NewsWatch the Animated Video for Lone's "Restless City"
- Real Talk: Hieroglyphic Being on His Unorthodox DJ Style, Muscle Mirroring, and Why the Whole Thing Is a Big Cosmic Joke
- Getting Down, Biking Around, and Reveling in the Final Days of Trouw: Reflections on ADE 2014
- Labels You Love: The Top 20 Labels, As Voted by XLR8R Readers
- Labels We Love: 10 More of Our Favorite Labels, Plus Some Newcomers Worth Watching
XLR8R Downloads Player