Savath & Savalas Golden Pollen
- Words: Cameron Macdonald
- Label: Anti-
Scott Herren kicks back, droops his eyes, and never bothers to get up for 52 minutes on Golden Pollen. That can seem odd for a fella known for cramming leftfield idea after idea into a glutted MPC sampler. The latest joint from his Savath & Savalas project goes further into psychedelic Barcelona soul and delivers many fine, pillow-side guitar ballads and sunset-hazed textures-namely on "Paisaje" and "Olhas." The best S&S tracks always sounded like wet putty in Herren's impatient hands on the mixing board. Here, he takes an unplugged route that often grows listless, despite much beauty. Just don't mix this record with cheap wine and Valentine's Day loneliness.
- GearWatch Goth-Trad Make a Beat with Ableton Live
- NewsWatch Jeff Mills' 1998 Red Bull Music Academy Lecture
- NewsWatch Just Jam Sets from Mount Kimbie, Loefah, Omar Souleyman, and More
- NewsListen to Girl Unit's Crystalline Remix of Little Dragon
- MP3Kenji Kawai "Making of a Cyborg (Rope Re-Interpretation)"
XLR8R Downloads Player