Savath + Savalas Apropa't
- Words: Heath K. Hignight
- Label: Warp
Warning: this Scott Herren project sounds nothing like Prefuse 73. In the rush to heap praise upon Herren, critics have forgotten that Savath + Savalas predated his predominately hip-hop/jazz mash-up project by a year. One can instead compare the strong Latin folk influences of Apropa't to its predecessor, 1998's Folk Songs for Trains, Trees and Honey, with its more brazen use of light jazz, funk and granola folk. Recorded in Herren's new Barcelona studio, Apropa't luxuriantly grooves with delicate guitar ditties and harmonized vocals, and smacks of quaint Spanish caf»s on warm summer nights. Forget the hype, and Apropa't it for yourself.
- GearArtist Tips: Peter Van Hoesen on How to Listen More Effectively
- NewsRecondite Announces Upcoming LP for Innervisions, Streams New Track
- NewsSBTRKT Drops Video for "New Dorp. New York"
- MP3Clap! Clap! "Ashiko (Lurka Obeah Remix)"
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
XLR8R Downloads Player