Scratch Massive Time
- Words: Doug Morton
- Label: Nocturne
- XLR8R Rating: 8/10
Having put their major-label romance with Warner well behind them, Maud Geffray and Sebastien Chenut advance their nouveau-electro agenda with an album of monumental proportions. Reeling from recent successes like "Girls on Top" (on the MBF label) and "Shining in My Vein," the French duo constructs a vibe out of dark, electro caresses, acknowledging the roots of their craft while sidestepping any new wave or electroclash redundancy. The album gets off to a Kraftwerk-inspired start with "Fake Lesbian" before downshifting into the heavy, circuit-fried melody of "Shadows" and the ethereal helices of "Soleil Noir," where luminous atmospherics and Geffray's distant vocals are offset by a strobing analog rhythm section of unprecedented filth. These tracks are fresh and massive indeed, and with mastering from Berlin's legendary Moritz Von Oswald (Rhythm & Sound, Basic Channel), the grit and body of the album is astounding.
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- MP3kidkanevil "Thousand Year Forest (One for Yosi)"
- NewsDownload a New Mix from Ben UFO
- NewsListen to Another Track from Flying Lotus' 'You're Dead!' LP
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player