Scuba A Mutual Antipathy
- Words: Cameron Macdonald
- Label: Hotflush
- XLR8R Rating: 7/10
It’ll be more difficult to define dubstep if Paul Rose keeps releasing records like this, creating a very healthy situation for a genre that’s already victim to numerous copycat crimes. As Scuba, Rose is one of the genre’s lead beat-smiths, but he breaks free even further from dubstep’s stereotypes on Antipathy. Like the best dub rhythms, there is a sublime patience amid his clangor; throughout the album, Rose places a loose breathing space between each smacked-down beat, and his gray-skied synth chords recall the digital tundra of Amber-era Autechre. Unfortunately, some tracks are too short on ideas and resemble sketches that await unauthorized remixes from bedroom studio producers. Still, Antipathy points dubstep in a fertile direction.
- MP3Marley Carroll "First Thought, Best Thought (Little People Remix)"
- NewsFour Tet Streams Final Forthcoming Percussions Tracks
- NewsCheck Out a 40-Minute Live Set from Juju & Jordash
- FeatureHi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- NewsPixelord, DZA, 813, and Others to Appear on Upcoming Russia-Focused Compilation
- Locals Only: Prins Thomas Shares His Five Favorite Spots in Oslo
- 20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- Hi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- 20 Questions - Teebs Talks New Album, Low End Theory, and Playing 'Street Fighter' with Flying Lotus
XLR8R Downloads Player