Señor Coconut Around the World
- Words: Derek Beres
- Label: Nacional
- XLR8R Rating: 7/10
When Uwe Schmidt moved from Germany to Chile in 1996, he was determined to explore traditional Latin music in the context of the electronic sounds he’d been creating at home. As his monikers imply (another is Atom™), there is a bit of playfulness in his songs. How else would one account for his Cuban tempering of “Sweet Dreams,” or his marimba-led take of Prince’s “Kiss”? All songs on Around the World are covers, and all are treated with the same comic, musically exceptional care. The drumming is fantastic; the videogame digital effects combined with the live percussion and marimba on “Pinball Chacha” are proof enough of his skill as producer and musician.
- FeatureDekmantel: How Some Fanboys from The Hague Found Themselves at the Helm of One of Electronic Music's Best Festivals
- NewsSpectral Sound Announces New EP from Patricia; Hear a Track Now
- MP3Liar "Key Party (Spurz 'Key Bump' Edit)"
- MP3HolloH "Laying Awake"
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- Dekmantel: How Some Fanboys from The Hague Found Themselves at the Helm of One of Electronic Music's Best Festivals
- Trainwreck: DJ Slugo Recounts the Time He Found Himself in the Middle of a Hotel Room Brawl
- 20 Questions: FaltyDL Talks NYC Dance Crews, Tripping in Nature, and Motorcycle Gunslinging
- Record Store Week: Pearson Sound, Matias Aguayo, Leon Vynehall, and Gerd Share Their Favorite Shops
XLR8R Downloads Player