Señor Coconut Around the World
- Words: Derek Beres
- Label: Nacional
- XLR8R Rating: 7/10
When Uwe Schmidt moved from Germany to Chile in 1996, he was determined to explore traditional Latin music in the context of the electronic sounds he’d been creating at home. As his monikers imply (another is Atom™), there is a bit of playfulness in his songs. How else would one account for his Cuban tempering of “Sweet Dreams,” or his marimba-led take of Prince’s “Kiss”? All songs on Around the World are covers, and all are treated with the same comic, musically exceptional care. The drumming is fantastic; the videogame digital effects combined with the live percussion and marimba on “Pinball Chacha” are proof enough of his skill as producer and musician.
- FeatureRecord Store Week: Pearson Sound, Matias Aguayo, Leon Vynehall, and Gerd Share Their Favorite Shops
- NewsWatch Eprom's Menacing New Video for "Center of the Sun"
- GearArtist Tips: Dusky Details Five Techniques for Producing Precise, Club-Ready Tracks
- MP3Aashton "I've Had Enough"
- FeatureRecord Store Week: Rubadub
XLR8R Downloads Player