The Sea and Cake Everybody
- Words: Steve Marchese
- Label: Thrill Jockey
The Sea and Cake rightfully deserve their designation as elder statesmen of the Chicago art-pop landscape. This time out, Sam Prekop and company return in an older, more perceptive incarnation of the band, eschewing the electronic flourishes of past releases for a more classic sound reminiscent of their self-titled debut. The difference here is clearly refinement. Never has the guitar playing of Archer Prewitt and Sam Prekop sounded so in-sync and sophisticated. And bassist Eric Claridge and drummer John McEntire continue a legacy of stylish understatement. Everybody proves there's plenty left in Chicago's prodigal sons.
- GearArtist Tips: Mister Saturday Night on the Importance of Building a Proper DJ Booth
- NewsWatch Ben UFO's RBMA Lecture
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with Maya Jane Coles, Joy Orbison, Mister Saturday Night, and More
- MP3Machines in Heaven "Hindu Milk (Debukas Remix)"
- NewsStream Keysound's Upcoming 'Certified Connections' Compilation
XLR8R Downloads Player