Sensational Speaks For Itself
- Words: Rob Geary
- Label: Quatermass
Like MF Doom, Sensational rhymes in a mumble that follows its own internal metronome, often running boldly counter to our earthly sense of cadence. Even though he declares "Ain‘t no buzzin‘ in this/This is Protools, dog," Sensational‘s beats are skeletal arrangements of droning bass and muffled thumps, sometimes swerving into near-musique concrète territory. Neat tricks like the ominously doubled vocal track on "Obvious I‘m Marvelous" go some way toward covering up Sensational‘s dearth of topics beyond braggadocio and his "chunk of bliss," and his oddly compelling voice works track-by-track, but Speaks for Itself still drags over 40 minutes.
- GearWatch Goth-Trad Make a Beat with Ableton Live
- NewsWatch Jeff Mills' 1998 Red Bull Music Academy Lecture
- NewsWatch Just Jam Sets from Mount Kimbie, Loefah, Omar Souleyman, and More
- MP3Kenji Kawai "Making of a Cyborg (Rope Re-Interpretation)"
- NewsThe Lowdown - This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with Untold, Tycho, Jam City, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player