Sensational Speaks For Itself
- Words: Rob Geary
- Label: Quatermass
Like MF Doom, Sensational rhymes in a mumble that follows its own internal metronome, often running boldly counter to our earthly sense of cadence. Even though he declares "Ain‘t no buzzin‘ in this/This is Protools, dog," Sensational‘s beats are skeletal arrangements of droning bass and muffled thumps, sometimes swerving into near-musique concrète territory. Neat tricks like the ominously doubled vocal track on "Obvious I‘m Marvelous" go some way toward covering up Sensational‘s dearth of topics beyond braggadocio and his "chunk of bliss," and his oddly compelling voice works track-by-track, but Speaks for Itself still drags over 40 minutes.
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- MP3kidkanevil "Thousand Year Forest (One for Yosi)"
- FeatureHi-Five: Tin Man Selects His Top Acid Tracks
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player