The Seven Fields of Aphelion Periphery
Apart from making music, Black Mother Super Rainbow member The Seven Fields of Aphelion takes photographs layering images of stark, abandoned commercial-industrial landscapes with more pastoral scenes of leaves and fields of wheat, a juxtaposition that provides a nice frame for listening to Periphery. This stellar debut album features ambient synth drones, hypnotically simple melodies, and an all-consuming echo that recalls empty spaces as much as wide-open nature. Additionally, there is a wistfulness expressed in tracks like "Grown," which opens with piano lines on top of drones and builds to a swirl of piano-synth harmonies that ache in their beauty. Other highlights include the bright dustiness of tracks like "Mountain Mary" and the watery arpeggiations of "Saturdation: Arrhythmia."
- GearAKAI Unveils APC40 MkII and Rhythm Wolf Drum Machine and Bass Synth
- MP3Dengue Dengue Dengue! "Banana"
- NewsBoiler Room's 'Beats Unraveled' Series Continues with a Version of Shlohmo's "Places"
- NewsNicolas Jaar, 3 Chairs, Jamie xx, DJ Koze, and More Announced for Dekmantel 2014
- GearArtist Tips - Max Cooper Details Five Ways to Focus Your Artistic Vision and Tighten Up Your Productions
XLR8R Downloads Player