Shadow Huntaz Corrupt Data
- Words: Brion Paul
- Label: Skam
IDM and hip-hop are strange, but familiar, bedfellows. Hip-hop's loping rhythms and boom bap have been an integral and abstract part of the core of IDM's sound. Now, experimental label Skam releases a straight-up hip-hop album. Exciting production from Quench/Funckarma lends a tricked-out, spatial dub feel, but the overall result is fairly straightforward. With the glaring exception of "Medic," an alien equation of CGI-reconfigured hip-hop, Corrupt Data suffers from its conventionality. A fine record, but unfortunately not corrupt enough.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with DVS1, Aphex Twin, Dntel, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player