Shakeyface Bicycle Day Boogaloo
- Words: Steve Marchese
- Label: It‘s Bananas
Longtime NYC DJ Doug "Shakeyface" Smiley had to clear a hurdle to create his first LP: figuring out how to make a coherent album while coming from a seasoned mixtape mentality. Moving from moments of Dabrye-styled digital glitch to the abstract instrumentalism of Daedelus, Shakeyface sounds most at home on "Looking Ahead" and "As I Was Saying," two plaintive, end-of-winter IDM repeat players. Ambitious, forward-thinking, and undeniably talented, Shakeyface has put together a palette of bright sonic colors on Bicycle Day Boogaloo; while he may not yet blend them with the skill of a master painter, this album nevertheless contains the first brushstrokes of a brilliant musical portrait.
- NewsCheck Out New Mixes from Joy Orbison and Objekt
- Feature20 Questions: FaltyDL Talks NYC Dance Crews, Tripping in Nature, and Motorcycle Gunslinging
- GearArtist Tips: Dusky Details Five Techniques for Producing Precise, Club-Ready Tracks
- NewsStream Shenoda's New 'Who Ver?' EP for ManMakeMusic
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
XLR8R Downloads Player