Shalabi Effect Unfortunately
- Words: Josiah Hughes
- Label: Alien8
In recent years, being a band from Montreal has often equaled instant publicity. Despite having produced some of the most forward-thinking music of the last 10 years, however, Montreal‘s Shalabi Effect has remained relatively unnoticed. The group‘s latest effort, Unfortunately, is the result of a three-day residency at Montreal‘s Arts Interculturels institute. where the songs were rehearsed and recorded in front of a live audience. "Out of the Closet," the epic 13-minute opener, presses through walls of found sound and drone to "Pai Nai," an exploration of surf rock and static. Similarly, a balance between haunting noise and graceful melody is explored through the strings in "Half Life" and "Vegas Radiation." A focused jaunt through many psychedelic corridors, Unfortunately is a masterful work that will probably find hype 10 years from now, when the rest of the world catches up.
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- MP3kidkanevil "Thousand Year Forest (One for Yosi)"
- FeatureHi-Five: Tin Man Selects His Top Acid Tracks
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player