Shape of Broad Minds Craft of the Lost Art
- Words: Jesse Serwer
- Label: Lex
Revelatory releases from the alt-rap universe have been few and far between recently, making the arrival of Shape of Broad Minds’ eye-opening debut, Craft of the Lost Art, all the more welcome. A multiregional “supergroup” of sorts led by Jneiro Jarel (in all likelihood, you’ve never heard of the other guys), SOBM flips a spaced-out jazzy aesthetic that at various points recalls Digable Planets, Antipop Consortium, and J Dilla. While MCs Rocque Wun, Panama Black, Jawaad, and Jarel (who also appears as his alias, Dr. Who Dat?) deliver solid verses all around, the true revelation is Jarel’s inventive leftfield beatwork, which demonstrates a marked improvement upon previous (solo) releases like Three Piece Puzzle and Dr. Who Dat’s Beat Journey. Here’s hoping the sound put forth by these Broad Minds really is the shape of things to come, and not an exercise in a lost art.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with DVS1, Aphex Twin, Dntel, and More
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player