Shapes and Sizes Split Lips, Winning Hips, a Shiner
- Words: Josiah Hughes
- Label: Asthmatic Kitty
All eyes were on Victoria, BC's Shapes and Sizes when they signed to Sufjan Stevens' Asthmatic Kitty imprint, but their self-titled debut was lukewarm at best. Following a move to Montreal, however, Split Lips, Winning Hips, A Shiner is a marked improvement. Continuing their anything-goes approach to indie pop, the songs on Split Lips swell with surprises at every turn. Opener "Alone/Alive" builds up to a joyous chorus, while other tracks allow for sweeps of noise and group sing-alongs ("Highlife"). Finding the balance between noisy experimentation and catchy pop is never easy, but Split Lips plays out like a collaboration between Pavement and Captain Beefheart, leaving no question that Shapes and Sizes have hit their stride.
- NewsWatch the Video for Clark's "Riff Through the Fog"
- GearAKAI Unveils APC40 MkII and Rhythm Wolf Drum Machine and Bass Synth
- NewsNicolas Jaar, 3 Chairs, Jamie xx, DJ Koze, and More Announced for Dekmantel 2014
- GearArtist Tips - Max Cooper Details Five Ways to Focus Your Artistic Vision and Tighten Up Your Productions
- NewsMaya Jane Coles to Helm Next Fabric Mix Album
XLR8R Downloads Player