Sharon Jones & the Dap-Kings "100 Days, 100 Nights"
- Words: Derek Beres
- Label: Daptone
- XLR8R Rating: 8.5/10
Throwback soul has become a staple of many producers, spanning a number of genres. But to hear soul music worthy of Motown is rare, which is what makes Sharon Jones so welcoming. She's been singing gospel for decades, and it comes through in every dripping minute of this record. Launched from their Bushwick studio, the Dap-Kings are the Wailers of the modern day, backing up Amy Winehouse and Ghostface, among others. Hearing Jones' voice mixed with the horns of "Nobody's Baby" and the generous swagger of "Be Easy" is to feel yourself inside the church of somewhere holy. No dogma allowed-just a head shake and the words, "Damn, that's hot" on the tip of your tongue.
- GearAKAI Unveils APC40 MkII and Rhythm Wolf Drum Machine and Bass Synth
- NewsWatch the Video for Clark's "Riff Through the Fog"
- NewsNicolas Jaar, 3 Chairs, Jamie xx, DJ Koze, and More Announced for Dekmantel 2014
- GearArtist Tips - Max Cooper Details Five Ways to Focus Your Artistic Vision and Tighten Up Your Productions
- MP3Dengue Dengue Dengue! "Banana"
XLR8R Downloads Player