Shawn Lee’s Ping Pong Orchestra Hits the Hits!
- Words: Cameron Macdonald
- Label: Ubiquity
- XLR8R Rating: 7/10
What happens when producers run outta rare grooves to sample? They make hits that sound like rare grooves. On Hits the Hits!, Shawn Lee’s covers mutate the likes of OutKast and Kylie into a ’60s and ’70s “library” mélange of funk, soul, and casino-band tunes. What could’ve been a throwaway novelty is instead a ripe parody. Lee converts Amy Winehouse’s inebriated soul into a sassy flute melody to lead his poppy cover of “Rehab.” Missy Elliott’s “Get Ur Freak On” jumps from the Middle East to Surf City, and Britney Spears’ “Toxic” becomes Bollywood sitar-funk. A few covers are too faithful to the originals, but Lee reminds one that even the hippest, trendiest hits of today may be tomorrow’s kitsch.
- MP3Marley Carroll "First Thought, Best Thought (Little People Remix)"
- NewsFour Tet Streams Final Forthcoming Percussions Tracks
- NewsCheck Out a 40-Minute Live Set from Juju & Jordash
- FeatureHi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- NewsPixelord, DZA, 813, and Others to Appear on Upcoming Russia-Focused Compilation
- Locals Only: Prins Thomas Shares His Five Favorite Spots in Oslo
- 20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- Hi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- 20 Questions - Teebs Talks New Album, Low End Theory, and Playing 'Street Fighter' with Flying Lotus
XLR8R Downloads Player