Shawn Lee‘s Ping Pong Orchestra Strings & Things
- Words: Robbie Mackey
- Label: Ubiquity
Multi-instrumentalist and singer Shawn Lee-whose varied musical escapades have found him working alongside such disparate artists as The Spice Girls, Martina McBride, and Psapp-curates his third installment of Ubiquity‘s Studio Sessions series, in which he and his Ping Pong Orchestra bob and weave through tracks from 1960s and ‘70s library records (dusty wax meant to soundtrack the dingy flicks of yesteryear). Lee deftly tugs the cinematic flair out of the album‘s 15 cuts, breathing life into sitar-driven grooves, sneaky marimba breaks, chase-sequence drum shuffles, and ominous orchestral swells until you can almost see the notes.
- GearWatch Goth-Trad Make a Beat with Ableton Live
- NewsWatch Jeff Mills' 1998 Red Bull Music Academy Lecture
- NewsWatch Just Jam Sets from Mount Kimbie, Loefah, Omar Souleyman, and More
- MP3Kenji Kawai "Making of a Cyborg (Rope Re-Interpretation)"
- NewsListen to Girl Unit's Crystalline Remix of Little Dragon
XLR8R Downloads Player