Shlohmo Shlomoshun Deluxe
The re-release of LA/SF-based producer Shlohmo's mini-album, Shlomoshun Deluxe sounds fantastic if you're stoned. A clear-headed listen, however, reveals its production to be sub-par. Not that it sounds bad; the patron of beats and bass, known to friends as Henry Laufer, admits to using less-than-professional methods and second-rate gear, a not-uncommon practice in his peer group (see FlyLo's consistent vinyl crackle). It's these nuances which set Shlohmo's tracks apart from the sheen of, say, Nosaj Thing, as the noisy hiss of "Hot Boxing the Cockpit" somehow compliments the birdsong and head-nodding rhythm it accompanies, and the dulled, distorted high frequencies on "Tomato Squeeze" and "Dead Pixel" are integral to Shlomoshun Deluxe's direct appeal.
- FeatureLabels You Love: The Top 20 Labels, As Voted by XLR8R Readers
- NewsLegowelt and Willie Burns Launch Bizarre Online TV Show; Watch the First Episode Now
- NewsCheck Out a New Mix from Mount Kimbie
- NewsListen to Huxley's Upcoming Debut LP, 'Blurred'
- FeatureLabels We Love: 10 More of Our Favorite Labels, Plus Some Newcomers Worth Watching
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
- October 20: MUTEK.MX with Andy Stott, The Bug, Roman Flügel, Objekt, Laurel Halo, Oneohtrix Point Never, and More
- November 5: Club to Club with Caribou, SBTRKT, Recondite, Marcel Dettmann, Clark, Vessel, Luke Vibert, Jacques Greene, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player