Shocking Pinks Shocking Pinks
- Words: Cameron Macdonald
- Label: DFA/Astralwerks
- XLR8R Rating: 6/10
Shocking Pinks might raise the batting average for New Zealand rock, but beware of frontman Nick Harte’s sentimentality. “Oh Emily, oh Emily/I get jealous/When you’re holding hands/Kissing behind the stands/Because I need romance,” he mopes. How emo. The Pinks otherwise deliver solid, lo-fi excursions in this reissue of the ex-Brunette’s solo work. The rich guitar textures are often soaked in mountainous, neo-shoegazer haze, and Harte has a knack for melody, on tunes like “Blonde Haired Girl,” that recalls the best of early ’90s buzz-pop. There’s also DFA-approved cowbell disco on “SmokeScreen,” and a meditation on piano drones in the curious “23.” As long as Harte doesn’t need to cry on your shoulder, everything’s fine.
- GearArtist Tips: Dusky Details Five Techniques for Producing Precise, Club-Ready Tracks
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- FeatureRecord Store Week: Pearson Sound, Matias Aguayo, Leon Vynehall, and Gerd Share Their Favorite Shops
- NewsWatch Eprom's Menacing New Video for "Center of the Sun"
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with Flying Lotus, Hard Wax, SBTRKT and More
XLR8R Downloads Player