Shooting Spires Shooting Spires
- Words: Josiah Hughes
- Label: Cardboard
- XLR8R Rating: 8/10
Shooting Spires is the solo project of BJ Warshaw, best known as the bassist and vocalist of New York noise-punk trio Parts and Labor. While Shooting Spires maintains Parts and Labor’s love of messy electronics, Warshaw eschews the aggression for some anthemic pop songs. Opener “Right” builds a monstrous melody from warbling synths and a tasteful horn section that, underneath the chaos, recalls David Bowie. “Quarantine” is even louder, with a large, fuzzy bassline that often dominates the song, but still retains a pop structure. “At Last At Least” is an alarmingly minimal closer, employing strummed guitar before a searing descent into white noise. Addictively noisy but ultimately listenable, Shooting Spires is another quality release from Warshaw’s head.
- NewsDownload a New Mix from Tycho
- MP3Marley Carroll "First Thought, Best Thought (Little People Remix)"
- NewsFour Tet Streams Final Forthcoming Percussions Tracks
- NewsStream Different Sleep's Dreamy Debut EP for Friends of Friends
- NewsPixelord, DZA, 813, and Others to Appear on Upcoming Russia-Focused Compilation
- Locals Only: Prins Thomas Shares His Five Favorite Spots in Oslo
- 20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- Hi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- 20 Questions - Teebs Talks New Album, Low End Theory, and Playing 'Street Fighter' with Flying Lotus
XLR8R Downloads Player