The Show Is The Rainbow Wet Fist
- Words: August Howard
- Label: Retard Disco
- XLR8R Rating: 5.5/10
Nebraska native and spazz-punk extraordinaire Darren Keen comes with plenty of DIY cred, having played nearly 1000 shows everywhere from barns to bars and yes, the occasional arena. (Those opening slots often come courtesy of his pals and frequent touring partners, The Faint.) Unfortunately, his second album, Wet Fist, doesn’t have the tunes to back up his high-energy, over-the-top live antics. While the music is competently done, Keen’s mix of glitchy beats, rough-around-the-edges falsetto, and white-boy funk has been done before, and better. Wet Fist certainly isn’t going to make anyone forget about their Beck records. Skip the album and check out The Show Is The Rainbow when he comes to your local dive bar.
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- FeatureHi-Five: Tin Man Selects His Top Acid Tracks
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- MP3Astronomar "Gargoile (Massacooramaan Remix)"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player