Shukar Collective Urban Gypsy
- Words: Derek Beres
- Label: Riverboat
Bear taming and electronic music make an interesting junction in sonic history, and Urban Gypsy documents it. The seven members of Romania-based Shukar Collective modernize the Eastern European equivalent of the Egyptian zurna, using spoons, shouting, and percussion to tame their appointed beasts. Layering this folk tradition with throbbing basslines and witty drumbeats, electroclash meets d&b alongside quirky dulcimers and synthesizers. The hearty double bass on "Oh, Mother," which underscores the plaintive yelps of the vocalist (the Shukars don‘t particularly sing), is like walking through a second-hand market searching for a prize. When the bouncing beat of "Gipsy Blooz" emerges, you know you‘ve found it.
- GearAKAI Unveils APC40 MkII and Rhythm Wolf Drum Machine and Bass Synth
- NewsWatch the Video for Clark's "Riff Through the Fog"
- NewsNicolas Jaar, 3 Chairs, Jamie xx, DJ Koze, and More Announced for Dekmantel 2014
- GearArtist Tips - Max Cooper Details Five Ways to Focus Your Artistic Vision and Tighten Up Your Productions
- MP3Dengue Dengue Dengue! "Banana"
XLR8R Downloads Player