Sian Alice Group 59.59
- Words: Scott Thill
- Label: The Social Registry
- XLR8R Rating: 7/10
Like the cracked dream sonics of David Lynch and the Velvet Underground, Sian Alice Group's first effort has a way with dark hooks and disembodied melodies– they sneak their way into you quite nicely. "Kirilov" and "Contours" tickle your urge for hypnotic structures while "Way Down to Heaven" drives home your need for a distorted jam. Even the minimalist orchestral interludes that sprinkle the Group's debut satisfy classical cravings. But the devotion to lo-fi tech could use some punch: A few heavy drums would come in handy on "Way Down to Heaven," just to spice up the proceedings. That said, Sian Alice Group's has serious skills. Just don't call them shoegaze. They seem to really hate that.
- NewsCheck Out New Mixes from Joy Orbison and Objekt
- GearArtist Tips: Dusky Details Five Techniques for Producing Precise, Club-Ready Tracks
- Feature20 Questions: FaltyDL Talks NYC Dance Crews, Tripping in Nature, and Motorcycle Gunslinging
- NewsStream Shenoda's New 'Who Ver?' EP for ManMakeMusic
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
XLR8R Downloads Player