Sidestepper The Buena Vibra Sound System
- Words: Derek Beres
- Label: Palm Pictures
- XLR8R Rating: 7/10
While this third release from Afro-Colombian soundsystem Sidestepper smells of contract fulfillment–a collection of remixes and unreleased cuts after just two studio albums–there is a bit of irony that it’s the group’s best offering yet. Credit founder Richard Blair for this mixture of Colombian, Jamaican, and Nigerian sounds, where he tweaks the homeland rhythms of Bogota with dub and Afrobeat elements. The previously unavailable “Que Sera,” with a stylish reggae backdrop amidst the scattering calls of male and female toasters, is probably Blair’s best sonic creation to date. The other 10 tracks, including a mercurial reworking of “Deja,” provide ample support.
- FeatureLabels You Love: The Top 20 Labels, As Voted by XLR8R Readers
- NewsLegowelt and Willie Burns Launch Bizarre Online TV Show; Watch the First Episode Now
- NewsCheck Out a New Mix from Mount Kimbie
- NewsListen to Huxley's Upcoming Debut LP, 'Blurred'
- FeatureLabels We Love: 10 More of Our Favorite Labels, Plus Some Newcomers Worth Watching
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
- October 20: MUTEK.MX with Andy Stott, The Bug, Roman Flügel, Objekt, Laurel Halo, Oneohtrix Point Never, and More
- November 5: Club to Club with Caribou, SBTRKT, Recondite, Marcel Dettmann, Clark, Vessel, Luke Vibert, Jacques Greene, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player