Simian Mobile Disco Temporary Pleasure
On their sophomore effort, Simian Mobile Disco has elected to attempt the dreaded “Featuring...” album, ladling guest vocalists over their defiantly analog pop-techno. But after hippy-dippy opener “Cream Dream,” unrelenting, quirky bangers suck the collaborators into the vortex of a hot summer night's rave—Yeasayer's Chris Keating clowns the lonely nouveau riche on “Audacity of Huge,” Jamie Lidell gets menacingly sexy over the seasick synths of "Off the Map," and even punk princess Beth Ditto plays a perfect house diva ("Cruel Intentions"), leaving space for the acidic instrumentals to monomaniacally bang away. The aching, mysterious “Pinball,” stashed right at the end, sends Temporary Pleasure out of the park.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- NewsMachinedrum Readies New Album for Ninja Tune
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
XLR8R Downloads Player