Simian Mobile Disco Temporary Pleasure
On their sophomore effort, Simian Mobile Disco has elected to attempt the dreaded “Featuring...” album, ladling guest vocalists over their defiantly analog pop-techno. But after hippy-dippy opener “Cream Dream,” unrelenting, quirky bangers suck the collaborators into the vortex of a hot summer night's rave—Yeasayer's Chris Keating clowns the lonely nouveau riche on “Audacity of Huge,” Jamie Lidell gets menacingly sexy over the seasick synths of "Off the Map," and even punk princess Beth Ditto plays a perfect house diva ("Cruel Intentions"), leaving space for the acidic instrumentals to monomaniacally bang away. The aching, mysterious “Pinball,” stashed right at the end, sends Temporary Pleasure out of the park.
- GearWatch Goth-Trad Make a Beat with Ableton Live
- NewsWatch Jeff Mills' 1998 Red Bull Music Academy Lecture
- NewsWatch Just Jam Sets from Mount Kimbie, Loefah, Omar Souleyman, and More
- MP3Kenji Kawai "Making of a Cyborg (Rope Re-Interpretation)"
- NewsListen to Girl Unit's Crystalline Remix of Little Dragon
XLR8R Downloads Player