- Words: Scott Thill
- Label: Drag City
- XLR8R Rating: 7/10
Feed Slint, Comets on Fire, and Pink Floyd into a shredder and you come near to the experimental rock of Singer, a quartet whose four bizarros share vocal duties as well as fractured guitar epics. But their self-conscious artistry also has a sense of humor: "Please, Tell the Justices We're Fine" and "Slow Ghosts" are tinkering experiments in weird that will make you smile. Meanwhile, "Oh Dusty" is a slow-burning masterwork of pained axe mastery, and "Dumb Smoke" brings the riffage as well as the math. Singers are brain teasers for sure; you could tell that from the titles. But they're as fun as Bardo Pond and The Starlite Mints–worth it, in other words.
- GearKiNK Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Studio Set-Up
- GearWatch Ikonika Build a Beat in 10 Minutes
- NewsWatch a Video for "Girl," the A-Side of Jamie xx's Upcoming New 12"
- NewsCheck Out a New Documentary on the Spread of Balearic Music Culture
- NewsOstgut Ton to Release 'Berghain' and 'Panorama Bar' Mix Series as Free Downloads
- Locals Only: Prins Thomas Shares His Five Favorite Spots in Oslo
- 20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- Hi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- 20 Questions - Teebs Talks New Album, Low End Theory, and Playing 'Street Fighter' with Flying Lotus
XLR8R Downloads Player