Sizzla The Overstanding
- Words: Eric K. Arnold
- Label: DDMG-Koch
Over the last decade, Sizzla has become perhaps dancehall's most iconic and prolific figure, and though his later releases have varied in consistency, when he's on, no one blazes hotter. Here, Mr. Kalonji brings his A-game-and his crackling falsetto-to almost every track. The album is a sort of greatest hits collection, with updated versions of "Solid as a Rock" and "Smoke Marijuana," along with newer tunes like "Take Myself Away" and "Break Free." The production-by Clark Kent, Ill Vibe, and Kalonji himself-is surprisingly tight, and Sizzla seems more inspired on the mic than he's been in years.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player