Skatalites From Paris With Love
- Words: Scott Thill
- Label: World Village
Bounce, bounce! Groovin' to the Skatalites's latest release is like taking a water break from our war-torn world in the warm surf. And even if the band's cast of characters feels like it's in never-ending rotation (Lester Sterling, Lloyd Brevett, Lloyd Knibb, Doreen Shaffer and Dizzy Moore are the original members returning for this go around), its singular ska-jazz sound seems to be working just fine here. Standout tracks include the mellow-but-potent "Glory to the Sound"-a tune Dizzy claims was once an apartheid protest song named "Letter to Botha"-and "When I Fall in Love," which showcases Shaffer's smooth-as-cocoa-butter vocals. The Skatalities's skin-tight horn interplay has lost none of its swing; the disc is just one extended riddim that doesn't end until around the 60-minute mark. If your ass is sitting still while this joint is in the drive, then there is something seriously wrong with you.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with DVS1, Aphex Twin, Dntel, and More
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- MP3Frank B "Chain of Fools"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player