Skatalites From Paris With Love
- Words: Scott Thill
- Label: World Village
Bounce, bounce! Groovin' to the Skatalites's latest release is like taking a water break from our war-torn world in the warm surf. And even if the band's cast of characters feels like it's in never-ending rotation (Lester Sterling, Lloyd Brevett, Lloyd Knibb, Doreen Shaffer and Dizzy Moore are the original members returning for this go around), its singular ska-jazz sound seems to be working just fine here. Standout tracks include the mellow-but-potent "Glory to the Sound"-a tune Dizzy claims was once an apartheid protest song named "Letter to Botha"-and "When I Fall in Love," which showcases Shaffer's smooth-as-cocoa-butter vocals. The Skatalities's skin-tight horn interplay has lost none of its swing; the disc is just one extended riddim that doesn't end until around the 60-minute mark. If your ass is sitting still while this joint is in the drive, then there is something seriously wrong with you.
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- FeatureXLR8R's Top 20 Downloads of July
- NewsThe Great American Techno Festival Announces Dates and Initial Line-Up
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with FaltyDL, Dekmantel, Randomer, and More
- NewsR&S Readies Debut Outing from Alma Construct, Streams Lead Track
- XLR8R's Top 20 Downloads of July
- Trainwreck: DJ Slugo Recounts the Time He Found Himself in the Middle of a Hotel Room Brawl
- 20 Questions: FaltyDL Talks NYC Dance Crews, Tripping in Nature, and Motorcycle Gunslinging
XLR8R Downloads Player