Slam Year Zero
- Words: Janet Tzou
- Label: Soma
Known for their deft pacing between Detroit techno, Chicago house and electro-funk, the new album from Glasgow's veteran composers Stuart McMillan and Orde Meikle offers a satisfying punch of the duo's trademark dark, emotional grooves and sweeping "weeeee-er" synths. While the preachy, why-can't-we-just-get-along lyrics on "This World" feel overwrought, "Blow Your Mind" displays Slam at their best-working stark funk elements into simple but powerfully churning grooves. The interplay between spine-quiveringly soulful vocals and rough electronic beats on "Bright Lights Fading" shows why, even after a decade, Slam remains one of the gutsiest dancefloor acts around.
- GearWatch Goth-Trad Make a Beat with Ableton Live
- NewsWatch Jeff Mills' 1998 Red Bull Music Academy Lecture
- NewsWatch Just Jam Sets from Mount Kimbie, Loefah, Omar Souleyman, and More
- MP3Kenji Kawai "Making of a Cyborg (Rope Re-Interpretation)"
- NewsListen to Girl Unit's Crystalline Remix of Little Dragon
XLR8R Downloads Player