Sleater-Kinney The Woods
- Words: Julianne Shepherd
- Label: Sub Pop
The greatest rock band of the hip-hop generation and the least cynical, too, these three Portland guitar-and-rhythm geniuses add Led Zep samples (ariatic vocal runs, interminable Bonham drumming, knock 'em over solos) and annex their own space in rock iconography. Nobody could do it better: their triple vocals, warbles, and hazy jams run on love whilst dropping classic ideas into the current epoch. The Woods is more overtly political than their last six albums, they croon and seethe about pop culture ("Modern Girl," "Entertain") and sensualize their own power ("The Fox," "Let's Call it Love").
- GearArtist Tips: Dusky Details Five Techniques for Producing Precise, Club-Ready Tracks
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- FeatureRecord Store Week: Pearson Sound, Matias Aguayo, Leon Vynehall, and Gerd Share Their Favorite Shops
- NewsStream Shenoda's New 'Who Ver?' EP for ManMakeMusic
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with Flying Lotus, Hard Wax, SBTRKT and More
XLR8R Downloads Player