Sleater-Kinney The Woods
- Words: Julianne Shepherd
- Label: Sub Pop
The greatest rock band of the hip-hop generation and the least cynical, too, these three Portland guitar-and-rhythm geniuses add Led Zep samples (ariatic vocal runs, interminable Bonham drumming, knock 'em over solos) and annex their own space in rock iconography. Nobody could do it better: their triple vocals, warbles, and hazy jams run on love whilst dropping classic ideas into the current epoch. The Woods is more overtly political than their last six albums, they croon and seethe about pop culture ("Modern Girl," "Entertain") and sensualize their own power ("The Fox," "Let's Call it Love").
- GearWatch Goth-Trad Make a Beat with Ableton Live
- NewsWatch Jeff Mills' 1998 Red Bull Music Academy Lecture
- NewsWatch Just Jam Sets from Mount Kimbie, Loefah, Omar Souleyman, and More
- NewsListen to Girl Unit's Crystalline Remix of Little Dragon
- MP3Kenji Kawai "Making of a Cyborg (Rope Re-Interpretation)"
XLR8R Downloads Player