Sleeper Behind Every Mask
- Words: Lulu McAllister
- Label: Mush
- XLR8R Rating: 7.5/10
Sleeper (a.k.a. Carlos Ransom) began his career behind the turntables about a decade ago and has since added a range of bent, DIY instruments to his repertoire. On his second full-length album, Behind Every Mask, the one-man-band supports his lo-fi, fuzz-saturated musical space with a backbone of traditional hip-hop beats. The album is run-through with strange, but not necessarily out-of-place, samples of dialogue ranging from a woman ironically lamenting the invention of the drum machine on “Condition or Effect” to the distorted mumblings of a man over psychedelic shimmers on the complicated “Mr. Megatron.” The strongest track, “Witch Hunt,” places clinical dialogue over a compelling syncopated beat and layers of beautiful, speaker-melting reverb.
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- MP3Shiva "Dark Moon"
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with DVS1, Aphex Twin, Dntel, and More
- MP3Astronomar "Gargoile (Massacooramaan Remix)"
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player