Sleeper Behind Every Mask
- Words: Lulu McAllister
- Label: Mush
- XLR8R Rating: 7.5/10
Sleeper (a.k.a. Carlos Ransom) began his career behind the turntables about a decade ago and has since added a range of bent, DIY instruments to his repertoire. On his second full-length album, Behind Every Mask, the one-man-band supports his lo-fi, fuzz-saturated musical space with a backbone of traditional hip-hop beats. The album is run-through with strange, but not necessarily out-of-place, samples of dialogue ranging from a woman ironically lamenting the invention of the drum machine on “Condition or Effect” to the distorted mumblings of a man over psychedelic shimmers on the complicated “Mr. Megatron.” The strongest track, “Witch Hunt,” places clinical dialogue over a compelling syncopated beat and layers of beautiful, speaker-melting reverb.
- Feature20 Questions: FaltyDL Talks NYC Dance Crews, Tripping in Nature, and Motorcycle Gunslinging
- NewsCheck Out New Mixes from Joy Orbison and Objekt
- NewsDJ Sprinkles Plans Brief North American Tour
- NewsRoman Flügel Shares New Track from Upcoming LP
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
XLR8R Downloads Player