Sleeper Behind Every Mask
- Words: Lulu McAllister
- Label: Mush
- XLR8R Rating: 7.5/10
Sleeper (a.k.a. Carlos Ransom) began his career behind the turntables about a decade ago and has since added a range of bent, DIY instruments to his repertoire. On his second full-length album, Behind Every Mask, the one-man-band supports his lo-fi, fuzz-saturated musical space with a backbone of traditional hip-hop beats. The album is run-through with strange, but not necessarily out-of-place, samples of dialogue ranging from a woman ironically lamenting the invention of the drum machine on “Condition or Effect” to the distorted mumblings of a man over psychedelic shimmers on the complicated “Mr. Megatron.” The strongest track, “Witch Hunt,” places clinical dialogue over a compelling syncopated beat and layers of beautiful, speaker-melting reverb.
- GearArtist Tips: Marcel Dettmann's Five Keys to Being a Good DJ
- NewsSoundCloud Announces Advertising, Royalty Collection, Subscription Service
- NewsCheck Out John Talabot's Remix of Bicep, Download an "AltMix"
- NewsDownload a Lush Ambient Production from xxxy
- NewsAvalon Emerson Gives Away Remix and Edits Collection
- 20 Questions: Jackmaster Talks Fast Food, Rubadub, and Coping with the Endless Party Loop
- Get Familiar: Dark Entries
- Nothing Is True, Everything Is Permitted: Wolfgang Voigt, Lawrence English, and Others Ponder the State of Ambient Music
- 20 Questions: DJ Harvey Talks Surfing, Rock 'n' Roll, and the Meaning of Life
XLR8R Downloads Player