Small Sins Small Sins
- Words: Patrick Sisson
- Label: Astralwerks
It's difficult to overstate the mousey Postal Service vibe-intentional or not-that runs through the debut album from Canadian singer/producer Thomas D'Arcy (a.k.a. Small Sins). Earnest, romantic lyrics that sound test-marketed for the indie demographic paired with shimmering electronic beats beg to be measured against the famous Death Cab-associated electronic tag-team. But Small Sins isn't just a straight reproduction of Jimmy Tamborello's glitch-ridden soundscapes. Instead, D'Arcy weaves the occasional acoustic guitar line into a series of bubbling beats and his own cooing, occasionally pained, vocals, which are glibber than Ben Gibbard's. It's a more rocking, less synth-obsessed album that will suffer more from comparisons than any egregious faults of its own.
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- NewsDownload a New Mix from Ben UFO
- MP3kidkanevil "Thousand Year Forest (One for Yosi)"
- NewsStream "Fifty Fathoms" from Marquis Hawkes' Upcoming EP
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player