So Percussion Amid the Noise
- Words: Cameron Macdonald
- Label: Cantaloupe
So Percussion studies many greats and has a sharp ear for tone, but something's amiss here. The New York trio experiments with pipes, glockenspiel, vibraphone, wood planks, metal, marimba, duct tape, and even an Ethernet port. The result plays like soothing minimalist wallpaper. "May" lays down a brilliant Steve Reich-style vibe among samples of human gibberish, and "Go" treads upon a music-box groove that many IDM blokes could never get right. But there is a nagging sense that So Percussion only gives five percent of their power here.
- GearWatch Goth-Trad Make a Beat with Ableton Live
- NewsWatch Jeff Mills' 1998 Red Bull Music Academy Lecture
- NewsWatch Just Jam Sets from Mount Kimbie, Loefah, Omar Souleyman, and More
- MP3Kenji Kawai "Making of a Cyborg (Rope Re-Interpretation)"
- NewsListen to Girl Unit's Crystalline Remix of Little Dragon
XLR8R Downloads Player