So Percussion Amid the Noise
- Words: Cameron Macdonald
- Label: Cantaloupe
So Percussion studies many greats and has a sharp ear for tone, but something's amiss here. The New York trio experiments with pipes, glockenspiel, vibraphone, wood planks, metal, marimba, duct tape, and even an Ethernet port. The result plays like soothing minimalist wallpaper. "May" lays down a brilliant Steve Reich-style vibe among samples of human gibberish, and "Go" treads upon a music-box groove that many IDM blokes could never get right. But there is a nagging sense that So Percussion only gives five percent of their power here.
- NewsCheck Out New Mixes from Joy Orbison and Objekt
- GearArtist Tips: Dusky Details Five Techniques for Producing Precise, Club-Ready Tracks
- Feature20 Questions: FaltyDL Talks NYC Dance Crews, Tripping in Nature, and Motorcycle Gunslinging
- NewsStream Shenoda's New 'Who Ver?' EP for ManMakeMusic
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
XLR8R Downloads Player