So Percussion Amid the Noise
- Words: Cameron Macdonald
- Label: Cantaloupe
So Percussion studies many greats and has a sharp ear for tone, but something's amiss here. The New York trio experiments with pipes, glockenspiel, vibraphone, wood planks, metal, marimba, duct tape, and even an Ethernet port. The result plays like soothing minimalist wallpaper. "May" lays down a brilliant Steve Reich-style vibe among samples of human gibberish, and "Go" treads upon a music-box groove that many IDM blokes could never get right. But there is a nagging sense that So Percussion only gives five percent of their power here.
- GearArtist Tips: Mister Saturday Night on the Importance of Building a Proper DJ Booth
- NewsWatch Ben UFO's RBMA Lecture
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with Maya Jane Coles, Joy Orbison, Mister Saturday Night, and More
- MP3Machines in Heaven "Hindu Milk (Debukas Remix)"
- NewsStream Keysound's Upcoming 'Certified Connections' Compilation
XLR8R Downloads Player