The Soft Pink Truth Do You Party?
- Words: Cameron Macdonald
- Label: Soundslike
Drew Daniel was the first "glam skater" I ever saw in SF. The Matmos member was decked out in a Thrasher shirt, acid-washed jacket, ripped stockings, and checkered lowtops with his face smeared with hot-pink mascara. This juxtaposition of urban grit and discount-store beauty abounds in his microhouse incarnation The Soft Pink Truth. With his hacked-up snares, ditzy electro-funk melodies and divas reduced to stuttering androids, Drew eliminates the need for electroclash. Granted, his sound is way too art-damaged for most dancefloors and homecoming nights, but it's hard not to smile as you listen, whether it be of delight or bewilderment.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with DVS1, Aphex Twin, Dntel, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player