The Soft Pink Truth Do You Want New Wave or Do You Want the Soft Pink Truth?
- Words: Dave Segal
- Label: Tigerbeat6
On 2002's Do You Party?, Matmos' Drew Daniel glitched up and deconstructed house. Here, he cheekily recontextualizes American hardcore and English punk and new-wave songs. Even if you don't know the originals, Do You Want New Wave...? succeeds as minimalist, idiosyncratic electro-funk. You can tell Daniel loves these tracks, but he also wants to have fun twisting them into unrecognizable shapes. Of the many triumphs here, the chaotic rendition of Crass' "Do They Owe Us A Living?" with Vickie Bennett's hilarious deadpan vocals and the blasphemous microdisco version of Nervous Gender's "Confession," with its malignant swarm of old-school synths and acidic fibrillations, resonate strongest.
- NewsDownload a New Mix from Tycho
- NewsStream Another New Track from Four Tet's Upcoming Percussions 12"s
- Feature20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- NewsMatthewdavid Announces New LP for Brainfeeder, Shares Title Track
- NewsWatch a Tripped-Out Video from Thug Entrancer
- Locals Only: Prins Thomas Shares His Five Favorite Spots in Oslo
- 20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- Hi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- 20 Questions - Teebs Talks New Album, Low End Theory, and Playing 'Street Fighter' with Flying Lotus
XLR8R Downloads Player