The Soft Pink Truth Do You Want New Wave or Do You Want the Soft Pink Truth?
- Words: Dave Segal
- Label: Tigerbeat6
On 2002's Do You Party?, Matmos' Drew Daniel glitched up and deconstructed house. Here, he cheekily recontextualizes American hardcore and English punk and new-wave songs. Even if you don't know the originals, Do You Want New Wave...? succeeds as minimalist, idiosyncratic electro-funk. You can tell Daniel loves these tracks, but he also wants to have fun twisting them into unrecognizable shapes. Of the many triumphs here, the chaotic rendition of Crass' "Do They Owe Us A Living?" with Vickie Bennett's hilarious deadpan vocals and the blasphemous microdisco version of Nervous Gender's "Confession," with its malignant swarm of old-school synths and acidic fibrillations, resonate strongest.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player