The Soft Pink Truth Do You Want New Wave or Do You Want the Soft Pink Truth?
- Words: Dave Segal
- Label: Tigerbeat6
On 2002's Do You Party?, Matmos' Drew Daniel glitched up and deconstructed house. Here, he cheekily recontextualizes American hardcore and English punk and new-wave songs. Even if you don't know the originals, Do You Want New Wave...? succeeds as minimalist, idiosyncratic electro-funk. You can tell Daniel loves these tracks, but he also wants to have fun twisting them into unrecognizable shapes. Of the many triumphs here, the chaotic rendition of Crass' "Do They Owe Us A Living?" with Vickie Bennett's hilarious deadpan vocals and the blasphemous microdisco version of Nervous Gender's "Confession," with its malignant swarm of old-school synths and acidic fibrillations, resonate strongest.
- GearAKAI Unveils APC40 MkII and Rhythm Wolf Drum Machine and Bass Synth
- NewsSBTRKT Announces 'Transitions' 12" Series; Stream All Six Tracks Now
- Feature20 Questions - Garnier Talks Teenage Radio Shows, Living in the South of France, and Paying Way Too Much for The KLF
- GearAllen & Heath Introduces Xone:23C DJ Mixer
- 20 Questions - Garnier Talks Teenage Radio Shows, Living in the South of France, and Paying Way Too Much for The KLF
- Hi-Five - P. Morris Revisits His Roots and Lists His Five Favorite Go-Go Tracks
- A Generous Environment: Thoughts, Ideas, and Questions from patten
- Hi-Five - Kerri Chandler Lists the Five Tracks That Influenced Him the Most
XLR8R Downloads Player