The Soft Pink Truth Do You Want New Wave or Do You Want the Soft Pink Truth?
- Words: Dave Segal
- Label: Tigerbeat6
On 2002's Do You Party?, Matmos' Drew Daniel glitched up and deconstructed house. Here, he cheekily recontextualizes American hardcore and English punk and new-wave songs. Even if you don't know the originals, Do You Want New Wave...? succeeds as minimalist, idiosyncratic electro-funk. You can tell Daniel loves these tracks, but he also wants to have fun twisting them into unrecognizable shapes. Of the many triumphs here, the chaotic rendition of Crass' "Do They Owe Us A Living?" with Vickie Bennett's hilarious deadpan vocals and the blasphemous microdisco version of Nervous Gender's "Confession," with its malignant swarm of old-school synths and acidic fibrillations, resonate strongest.
- GearWatch Goth-Trad Make a Beat with Ableton Live
- NewsWatch Jeff Mills' 1998 Red Bull Music Academy Lecture
- NewsWatch Just Jam Sets from Mount Kimbie, Loefah, Omar Souleyman, and More
- MP3Kenji Kawai "Making of a Cyborg (Rope Re-Interpretation)"
- NewsThe Lowdown - This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with Untold, Tycho, Jam City, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player