Someone Else Pen Caps and Colored Pencils
- Words: Dave Segal
- Label: Foundsound
After a long stint in psychedelic drone-pop unit Flowchart, Philadelphia producer Someone Else (Sean O'Neal) has ascended swiftly to minimal techno's upper echelon, placing tracks on Michael Mayer's Immer 2 and Richie Hawtin's DE9 | Transitions mixes. O'Neal further enhances his rep with this outstanding debut solo album. Pen Caps and Colored Pencils abounds with dark yet quirky minimal techno marked by what Nurse With Wound would call "The Strange Play of the Mouth." Jocular vocal manipulations pepper sexily slithering tracks that are atwitter with strange textural sounds, turning dance floors into funhouses. Like fellow North American techno luminaries Bruno Pronsato and Akufen, Someone Else specializes in crazy-angled, rubber-roomed club bangers that provoke both dancing and laughter.
- GearAKAI Unveils APC40 MkII and Rhythm Wolf Drum Machine and Bass Synth
- MP3Dengue Dengue Dengue! "Banana"
- NewsBoiler Room's 'Beats Unraveled' Series Continues with a Version of Shlohmo's "Places"
- NewsListen to a New Track from Teebs' Upcoming Sophomore LP
- NewsNicolas Jaar, 3 Chairs, Jamie xx, DJ Koze, and More Announced for Dekmantel 2014
XLR8R Downloads Player